Latteria Mozzarella Bar
Latteria boasts 11 varieties of Italy’s favourite soft cheese incorporated into this delightfully Mediterranean menu with not a pizza in sight. With space to dine both inside and out this sunshine yellow restaurant is a real taste of Tuscany in the middle of Chinatown.
The menu includes southern style dishes, including the homemade gnocchi with fresh Read More...
- Opening Hours: Sunday–Friday from midday to 2.30pm and from 6pm to 10.30pm, Saturdays from 6pm to 10.30pm
- Location: 40 Duxton Hill, Singapore 089618, Singapore
- Tel: +65 6866 1988
If you fancy steak and fries the Parisian way then L’entrecôte is a great choice. Located in a small shop house, the thin restaurant has a bistro feel to it with grey polished floors and a line of tables and chairs along one side.
The steak and chips come with a traditional walnut salad, but the Read More...
- Opening Hours: Sunday–Friday from midday to 3pm and from 6pm to 10.30pm, Saturday from 5.30pm to 11pm
- Location: 36 Duxton Hill, Singapore 089614, Singapore
- Tel: +65 6690 7561
Jing Hua Xiao Chi
An unpretentious eatery, Jing Hua Xiao Chi is the place to go to for noodles and dumplings at down-to-earth prices.
A short menu but oozing with delicious dishes of which the highlights are xiao long bao (steam dumplings with soup), gyoza, and red bean paste pancake. Dumplings are made from scratch and service can be surly but efficient.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11.30am to 3pm and from 5.30 to 9.30pm
- Location: 21 Neil Rd, Singapore 088814, Singapore
- Tel: +65 6221 3060
Senso Ristorante & Bar
Nestled between Chinatown and the CBD and lodged in an old convent around a courtyard, Senso has built up a reputation for authentic Italian fare and stellar wines.
Signature dishes include mozzarella senso, linguine senso and the carote dessert. The wine list is equally impressive with quality Italian vintage dating back to 1924 as well as non-vintage. Over 500 selections are available by the glass.
- Opening Hours: Daily from midday to 3pm and from 6pm to 10.30pm
- Location: 21 Club St, Singapore 069410, Singapore
- Tel: +65 6224 3534
The Coconut Club
This colonial shophouse serves some of the best nasi lemak in Singapore. This spicy Malay chicken dish is served with coconut rice, anchovies and peanuts and is often topped with a fried egg. It’s the only main dish on the menu (and, at about S$13, it’s not exactly cheap), but Coconut Club also serves tea and coffee.
The interior is bright and modern – perhaps not what you would expect from a ‘local’ restaurant in Singapore, but it has proven a big hit with locals, expats and inquisitive travellers.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from 11am to 3pm and from 6pm to 9.30pm, Sundays from 11am to 3pm
- Location: 6 Ann Siang Hill, Singapore 069787, Singapore
- Tel: +65 6635 2999
Tiong Bahru Market
Tiong Bahru Market is famous for being one of the best hawker centres in Singapore for breakfast and brunch. Some of the stalls here open as early as 7am and close quite early too, meaning it’s the ideal spot for your first meal of the day.
That said, you might want to wait until lunch time to indulge in the best of what Tiong Bahru has to offer as it’s mostly meat based. Go for the roasted duck, pork ribs with noodles, boiled pork leg or stick with a simple Hainanese chicken over rice and you can’t go wrong. Prices are cheap too, with basic noodle and rice dishes starting from S$S3.00.
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Sunday from 7am to 8pm (closed on Mondays)
- Location: 30 Seng Poh Rd, Singapore 168898, Singapore
Ya Kun Kaya Toast
Kaya Toast cafés are a mainstay of the Singapore local dining scene and serve one of the most popular breakfasts in this thriving city-state. A typical serving consists of thick toast with kaya jam (a mix of sugar, coconut milk and butter) liberally applied, with some soft-boiled eggs on the side, which you are expected to crack into a bowl and then dunk the toast into.
Ya Kun Kaya Toast is a popular franchise in Singapore, but at this China Street branch, you’ll most likely be surrounded by old aunties and uncles getting their morning fix of kaya toast and strong tea or coffee.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 7.30am to 7pm, Saturday from 7.30am to 4.30pm, Sunday from 8.30am to 3pm
- Location: 18 China St, #01-01, Singapore 049560, Singapore
- Tel: +65 6438 3638