Maxwell Road Hawker Centre is one of the best places to try genuine Singaporean dishes that are cheap and very tasty. Our favourite thing about this food court is how alive it feels with locals and tourists all bustling about trying to get their fill of classic Singaporean street food which start from around S$3.
The two long lines of stalls offer mainly Chinese inspired dishes – think dim sum, rice porridge, fish balls and noodles – but with this being Singapore, there is always a selection of regional cuisines to choose from. Try to avoid lunchtimes between 12:00-14:00 when the whole building is swamped with nearby office workers.
- Singapore Zoo Admission with Roundtrip Transfer
- Singapore Zoo & River Safari with Transfer
- Singapore F1 Street Circuit Driving Experience
- Adventure Cove Waterpark™ 1-Day Pass with Hotel Pickup
- Jungle Breakfast with Orangutans at Singapore Zoo
- Skip-the-Line: Night Safari Admission with Transfer
- Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands & River Cruise Tour
- Chinatown at Night with Dinner & Cruise
- Singapore Zoo Admission
- Gardens by the Bay Admission
Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice stall is the most popular food stall in Maxwell Hawker Centre, if not the most popular in all of Singapore! Snaking queues are a common sight close to meal times – especially after The Michelin Guide gave Tian Tian a Michelin Star (the first ever given to a street stall anywhere in the world).
If you are in the mood for steamed chicken on rice but don’t have the time or inclination to wait in line, you can check out Ah Tai Hainanese Chicken Rice just a few stalls down, who himself is a former staff member at his more famous neighbour.
Another enduring favourite at Maxwell Hawker Centre is Rojak, Popiah & Cockle, which serves the Malay style mix of crispy bread, fruit and vegetable and egg mix all smothered in a bold, biting sauce – it’s one for the adventurous but locals love it!
Maxwell Road Food Centre is surrounded by many of Chinatown’s best attractions and walking distance from Telok Ayer and Chinatown MRT subway stations. It’s also open until 22:00 so you can enjoy a late meal there too.
Maxwell Hawker Centre
- Opening Hours: Daily 08:00 - 22:00
- Address: 1 Kadayanallur St, Chinatown