Restaurants in Little India often specialises in authentic cuisine from the northern and southern regions of India. With Serangoon Road and the adjacent Racecourse Road lined with vibrant curry houses, choosing where to eat in Little India can be a daunting task.
This small enclave of Singapore is a must-see if you want to experience all sides of this cosmopolitan city state – and there’s no better way to do it than by sampling delicious food throughout your visit. Check out this guide on great restaurants in Little India – aside from traditional Indian eateries, we’ve also included a couple of international venues in case you want a break from all the delicious (spicy) curries.
- Singapore Zoo Admission with Roundtrip Transfer
- Singapore Zoo & River Safari with Transfer
- Singapore F1 Street Circuit Driving Experience
- Adventure Cove Waterpark™ 1-Day Pass with Hotel Pickup
- Jungle Breakfast with Orangutans at Singapore Zoo
- Skip-the-Line: Night Safari Admission with Transfer
- Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands & River Cruise Tour
- Chinatown at Night with Dinner & Cruise
- Singapore Zoo Admission
- Gardens by the Bay Admission
Banana Leaf Apolo
At Banana Leaf Apolo, you can expect a more tourist-based clientele, upmarket surroundings and some higher prices to match. With house specialities such as fish head curry and Masala chicken, this restaurant is one of the best places to eat in Little India.
The inspiration for is name, Banana Leaf Apolo, becomes clear when you receive your food, as many of their dishes are served on banana leaves instead of plates – a famous dining practise in this neighbourhood and across India.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10.30am to 10.30pm
- Address: 48 Serangoon Road, Singapore 217959
- Tel: +65 6297 1595
The Tekka Food Centre pretty much sums up the culinary diversity of Singapore. It’s also one of the cheapest places to eat in the city. From delicious curry-canteens to Chinese hawker stalls, and traditional Malay snack-stalls to cheap Singapore noodle stands, this food court caters to just about any taste.
The Tekka Food Centre is also a wet market and shopping mall, where you can see locals shopping for fresh meat and produce, as well as traditional Indian attire and souvenirs. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6.30am to 9pm (hours vary by shop)
- Address: 665 Buffalo Road, Singapore 210665
Ananda Bhavan Restaurant
Ananda Bhavan Restaurant is one of the longest running vegetarian restaurants in Singapore. Founded in 1924, there are around 6 outlets across the city, including one at Changi Aiport’s Terminal 2. Special set menus start from S$7 – standouts include the biryani set, rasam (South Indian soup), and onion masala dosa (savoury Indian pancake).
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 10pm
- Address: 448 Serangoon Road, Singapore 218138
- Tel: +65 6297 9522
Khansama Tandoori Restaurant
Khansama Tandoori Restaurant specialises in Indian cuisine prepared in a Tandoor oven. The menu consists of vegetarian and meat-based dishes, so there’s something for everyone at this restaurant. If you’re a meat lover, Khansama Tandoori Restaurant serves tandoori chicken, mutton kebabs, as well as fish and prawn curries, which you can pair with rice or roti (bread).
- Opening Hours: Sunday–Thursday from 11am to 1am, Friday–Saturday from 11am to midnight
- Address: 166 Serangoon Road, Singapore 218050
- Tel: +65 6299 0300
Allauddin's Briyani is where you can enjoy biryani, a plate of herb-infused basmati rice, served with a rich curry sauce, chunks of mutton, chicken or fish, and a boiled egg. While it’s more of a food stall rather than a proper restaurant, Allauddin's attracts a crowd of locals and tourists to the 2nd floor of the Tekka Food Centre, where it’s located.
For full authenticity and extra messiness, enjoy biryani like a local by ditching the utensils. Just use your right hand (or Peshwari bread) to mix everything together and scoop it into your mouth.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 8pm
- Address: #01-229, Tekka Food Centre, 665 Buffalo Road, Singapore 210665
Those wanting a break from Little India’s curry-based cuisine should pay a visit to Putien, where you can enjoy authentic Chinese dishes in a rather upmarket setting. Must-tries include its crab soup, drunken cockles, stir-fried yam, and crispy pork ribs. There are several set lunch menus (for 2 to 10 people) running throughout the day.
This award-winning restaurant has several outlets in Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan – in Singapore, Putien can be found on Kitchener Road, a short walk south of the Farrer Park MRT station.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11.30am to 3pm and from 5.30pm to 10pm
- Address: 127 Kitchener Road, Singapore 208514
- Tel: +65 6295 6358
Taste of India
Taste of India delivers authentic dishes from the northern and southern regions of India. This rather elegant restaurant features marble pillars, grand chandeliers, bold artwork, and statues, which might make you feel like you’re dining in an art gallery rather than a restaurant.
Taste of India’s signature dishes include tandoori chicken, Amritsari fried fish, and fish head curry. You can also find a good selection of vegetarian options such as ghee rice, paneer tikka, curd rice, and aloo palak (potatoes in a smooth spinach sauce).
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11.30am to 11pm
- Address: 77 Rangoon Road, Singapore 218365
- Tel: +65 6341 5158
Serving a purely vegetarian menu, Komala Vilas offers generous set meals from as little as S$3 – about the same as what you’d pay for a glass of water in downtown Singapore. Established in 1947, there are 3 branches throughout Singapore – head for the one on Serangoon Road if you’re an early riser. It opens at 7am, so you can enjoy a hearty breakfast of dosa or uthappam with chutney and sambar (S$2.70).
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7am to 10.30pm
- Address: 76–78 Serangoon Road, Singapore 217981
- Tel: +65 6293 6980
Samy’s Curry, located in the ever-popular Demsey Road just of Serangoon, consistently delivers tasty curries, vegetarian dishes and a range of exotic sides in a very welcoming atmosphere. Unlike some of the more hectic curry joints in the centre of Singapore, you’ll find the tempo here a lot more civilised, with a pleasant environment surrounded by lush trees and quaint colonial buildings.
- Opening Hours: Wednesday–Monday from 11am to 3pm and from 6pm to 10pm (closed on Tuesdays)
- Address: 25 Dempsey Road, Singapore 249670
- Tel: +65 6472 2080